The trading Fort William was completed by 1757. It was built on hard rock near a sandy beach indentation with a sheltered harbour. The English had built a fort back in 1674 called Fort Charles which was destroyed to prevent it from being captured by other European companies. The English then hurried to construct Fort William.
Almost all of the Fort William was built using local materials. Despite the large amount of canons that Fort William possessed, it was attacked by the French in 1794 and surrendered after an attack by the Asantes in 1806.
Since then, the Fort had served as a rest house, post office and a state prison. Today Fort William is used as a community library. The opening hours are 9:00 to 16:30.