Situated in the Western Region of Ghana, near the fishing village of Infuma in Dixcove is Fort Metal Cross also known as Dixcove Fort. It is a British colonial fort built in 1692. Two motifs for the establishment of this fort were the promise of gold in the hinterland and also to win back the many English captains who were trading at the German Brandenburgers’ Fort Gross Fredericksburg in nearby Princestown.
However the promis of gold was never fulfilled and Fort Metal Cross became a service-station for the repair of ships and the supply of timber from the surrounding forest. During the slave trade, it became a slave prison. In 1872, the cost of control became too much he Dutch and the British regained ownership over the Fort. The fort has served both the Police and the Postal Services. It has currently been leased to a private organization.