Fort Gross Fredericksburg is located in western region of south Ghana five kilometers east of St. Antonio. This extraordinary fort was built by rocks that were transported by the sea from Prussia over a time span of two years. It was built in 1683 and is the only German fort ever built in Ghana. The original name Fort Brandenburger Gold Coast was changed to Fort Fredericksburg in the honour of King Frederick William.
In 1718 the Dutch took over the fort and renamed the fort to Hollandia before abandoning it in 1718. Parts of the fort have been restored and since 1979 it is part of the forts and palaces of colonial times of World Heritage Site by UNESCO in today's Ghana.
It is now a rest house that can accommodate ten people at a time. The fort’s opening hours are 9:00am to 4:30pm.