A few metres of Sekondi's harbour is the Dutch fortress Orange. The fort was originally a lodge during the 1670s however it also served as a trading post for a period of time.
The 1670s were a time of intense European competition for the riches held by the Gold Coast. In order to weaken the Dutch, the British built several lodges and forts within a gunning range of the Dutch fortresses. After an attack in 1694, the fort was reconstructed so as to provide more protection. The newly reconstructed fort had its cannons strategically directed at the close British trading lodge.
Fort Orange is now a naval base for the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority.