Situated in the little town of Senya Beraku is Fort Good Hope which was established by the Dutch in 1667 who wanted to tap into the ivory, gold and slave trade in the Akyem kingdom. In 1715 the fort was expanded to include large male and female slave prisons and in a report written in 1804, the fort was described as “one of the finest and most spacious forts on the coast”.
Fort Good Hope was the last one to be built on the Gold Coast. At the moment it is used as a rest house. It can be visited free of charge from 09:00 to 16:30 daily.