Located in Shama on the coast of Ghana’s Western Region lies the third oldest fortress, Fort San Sebastian. It was built by the Portuguese in 1520 to 1526 and it served as a discouragement to English sailors interfering in Shama trade. Fort San Sebastian is often called a small version of St.George's Castle.However in 1643 when the Dutch took over the fort, San Sebastian was a ruin. Hence there were renovation works from 1640 for 3 years. The fort served as a source of wood,water and fuel. At the moment it is used as a post office and offices for the Electoral Commission. The fort is open for visitors from 9:00am to 4:30pm.